Why is the drink famous ?
Mulled wine has become a favorite drink during the winter months as it has warm qualities. Drinking hot liquids warms the body from the inside out. It is also knows as spice wine.
History of Mulled Wine
Mulled wine has a long history. It is said that Romans and Greeks created mulled wine in 2nd century . They used to heat wine and add spices to it to make their bodies warm and healthier in winters. Soon the drink spread across the region in very less time and became a festive staple as people made this drink during winter months.
The warm drink became very popular in England around the 16th century, where it was safer to drink wine instead of the drank water, because of the plague.
Mulled Wine Recipe
Mulled served hot or warm and is alcoholic , although there is non-alcoholic version of it.
- Red wine – 1 bottle
- Honey – 1/3 cup, maple syrup or sweetener of your choice
- Cinnamon – 2 sticks
- Orange- 1
- Cloves – 8
- Brandy- 1/3 cup optional
- Cardamom – 3-4
- Star anise- 1
- First pour the wine into a saucepan on medium high heat.
- Bruise the cardamom with a spoon before adding it to the wine to get its flavour.
- Add the cloves , star anise and cinnamon.
- Then cut the orange and squeeze its hui into the simmering liquid in the pan .For added zestyoy can even put The orange peels inside the pan as well.
- Add your optional cup of brandy into the mix and let it simmer for atleast 30 min.
- Turn off the heat and serve it.